Thursday, October 20, 2011

Letting Them Dance


Getting the mail is reason enough.
     When David celebrated the return of the Ark of the Covenant by stripping off most of his clothes and dancing and singing like a crazy person, his wife Michal was watching. Their marriage already had a few “issues,” and she had followed after earthly power more than her vows. Now her husband, a triumphant King, was acting like a “vulgar fellow.” She thought he had embarrassed himself in front of everyone.

     My kids both dance and sing wherever they go. My son can’t function without creating a soundtrack to accompany him, and my daughter doesn’t just walk out of school at the end of the day, she emerges with her arms out and spins around a dozen times as she walks down the sidewalk. She doesn’t see me, and she doesn’t care who is watching, she just thinks it’s a dance-worthy event.

     The constant noise gets my son in trouble at school. The flailing limbs and lack of focus causes problems for my daughter. I wish they didn’t get in trouble, of course. And when I’m trying to get an important point across to them, something like “please don’t step in front of that speeding truck,” all I really want is silence and stillness.

     Remember what happened to Michal? It dangles at the end of the chapter like a punch line: And Michal daughter of Saul had no children to the day of her death (2 Samuel 6:23). Sure, this has something to do with lineage, honor, and the like...but on a purely mom-oriented level, I see this as a blessing on the children who didn’t have to be hers. Part of being a mom is willingly being embarrassed in order to encourage joy in your children.

     The truth is that I sound more like Michal than David most of the time. I do think it’s part of my job as mom, but having fun should be part of it, too. I want to be worthy of being their parents, so I hope God can help me stay near the dividing line between teaching them to be gracious, graceful members of society, and letting them dance in Grace.

Pin It

5 comments:

  1. Good thoughts. We probably all need to dance a little more for our Lord.

    ReplyDelete
  2. True, Cynthia. We need to stop, smell the roses and be willing to have fun more often. I'm also guilty of being more like Michal.

    BTW - I've nominated you for the "Tell Me About Yourself" Blog Award over at http://gwendolyngage.blogspot.com/. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comments, Pegg and Gwen. And thanks for the nomination, Gwen, I'm on my way to check it out now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Next time I see you, I will twirl and dance with my arms outspread.:) Good blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know how Moms like you want the best for her children. They're fun loving children. At their age, they're having fun and knows how to enjoy simple stuff. Let them explore but don't forget to remind and guide them as well. Wiggle and giggle with them. Life is so short not to enjoy simple joys in life.

    ReplyDelete