Tuesday, October 25, 2011

NaNoWriMo: Good Company for Misery

This weekend: a last moment of peace
     I really didn’t plan on having another novella sneak into my life, but here it is. It started with my short story “Joshua’s Cabin” in Mountain Duet. There were some moose paintings that showed up in the outhouse, and like my character Leah, I wondered who painted them. It turns out her name is Meg. By the way, Mountain Duet is being published in just a couple days, and it contains my short story and Karin Kaufman’s “The Snow Eater.” End of shameless plug. Back to Meg.

     She is about to have an interesting weekend at Joshua’s cabin because November is NaNoWriMo, National Novel Writing Month. I’ve seen references to this strange, coffee-fueled event for years and considered it something that would work well--for other people. I’m not a very good team player. Who needs accountability partners? And besides, I have a full-time job and two amazing kids, not to mention a house to manage. I’m accountable to them first.

     But here’s Meg (number 3 in my writing priority list, at best) poking at the back of my mind and insisting she’d  be more than happy to wrap up her story in one month. One tiny little month. And there was lots of coffee and Internet camaraderie in it for me if I went along. What could it hurt?

     Well, I suppose it could hurt quite a bit in my life, from the cleanliness of my house to the crankiness of my lovely family. And you know what misery likes? Yeah, you, keeping me company. So who’s in? Who has a story, and who believes against all better judgment that you’ll feel better once you get it on paper? It’s just one tiny little month. Just put the Thanksgiving turkey in the oven a little early and turn on the computer, you’ve got a novel to write.

2 comments:

  1. Great post... I can totally relate to having a story "sneak" into my life. Hope you had a successful NaNoWriMo =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The NaNoWriMo sounds fun. I wish we can participate in such event too. I'll be the first one to show up, not to boast pieces but to dig in and learn stuff about writing.

    ReplyDelete